Blog post image

YouTube Launches Creator Music Hub

18th October 2022

Remember Lofi Girl? The YouTube stream which accrued over 800 billion views over it’s very long stream time. She was the perfect companion for long study sessions or just a quiet evening. You may also remember that she was the subject of a YouTube copyright strike which caused her untimely deletion. YouTube later apologised for this takedown and admitted that the claims were false. This is just one example of how complicated and mysterious YouTube’s music licensing can be. Often, creators avoid using music in their videos for fear of receiving claims or strikes. 


YouTube is now seeking to change this and have launched Creator Music - a new platform aimed at helping creators find properly licensed music for their videos. Creator Music promises to be affordable and will not interfere with all the regular revenue streams currently available to creators on YouTube. Users can purchase a music licence upfront or for users unprepared to do this, they can share the future ad revenue with the label or distributor. It’s an elegant solution to the problem which ensures that everyone in the process is paid fairly. 


YouTube is also launching what they’re calling a ‘unique revenue sharing model’ with the YouTube Partnership Program. A year on from the launch of YouTube Shorts, the company is still rewarding users who are active on Shorts. The latest incentive is this model which adds up the revenue from ads that run on the platform and distributes it amongst users ‘to help cover costs of music licensing’. Starting in 2023, Shorts creators will be able to join the programme once they meet the threshold of 1000 subscribers and 10 million Shorts views over 90 days. Neal Mohan from YouTube explains that ‘this is the first time revenue sharing is being offered for short-form video on any platform at scale.’ YouTube has been trying to respond to TikTok’s sudden and stratospheric success for some time now and monetisation has been a hot topic since its rise. This new platform offers a clear guide on how creators can earn through the platform. YouTube will retain 55% of the ad revenue while the remaining 45% will be distributed to creators in a share based on the number of views. 


YouTube Partnership Program was a game changer back when it launched in 2007. CEO of YouTube, Susan Wojcicki, described it as revolutionary in fact. The programme has allowed YouTube to pay creators, artists and media companies $50 billion in the last 3 years. Creators were able to earn revenue through their content for the first time, kick-starting the creator industry and indeed the creator culture in which we live now. Pedro Pino, YouTube's VP of Europe, Middle East and Africa expressed that they are providing even more revenue opportunities for creators in 'times of uncertainty' which in turn is 'helping turbocharge an already healthy video ecosystem in the UK'.




Blog post image

5 Tips to Boost Your Video Engagement Through Music

24th November 2022

Blog post image

How To Use Hashtags Effectively

22nd November 2022

Blog post image

Creating a Brand as an Artist

17th November 2022

Blog post image

4 Ways to Use QR Codes

15th November 2022

Blog post image

6 Smart Ways to Reinvest Your Earnings

10th November 2022

Blog post image

6 Free Photoshop Alternatives

08th November 2022

Blog post image

5 Websites to Promote Your Next Release

04th November 2022

Blog post image

How To Nail Your Social Media Giveaway

02nd November 2022

Blog post image

SyncVault Partners with GigRealm

26th October 2022

Blog post image

Black Music in the UK

25th October 2022

Blog post image

7 Ways To Make Money in Music

13th October 2022

Blog post image

5 Tips For Thumbnails

11th October 2022

Blog post image

How To Tour on a Budget

06th October 2022

Blog post image

NOAH FINNCE - Syncvault's Vlogger of the Year

27th September 2022

Blog post image

Blogosphere Awards 2022

22nd September 2022

Blog post image

8 Habits of Successful Musicians

20th September 2022